Monday, August 5, 2013

Taylor's School Paper about Dr. Okun


school paper entitled “Dr. Okun” By Taylor R. age 10

 

You may thing YOU have the best orthodontist, but you thought wrong.  I think I have the best orthodontist.  She can fix anything (in my mouth).  She has strategies.  She is smart and organized and guides me.  I have the best orthodontist.

 

Dr. Okun always tells me to breathe through my nose before she does anything in my mouth.  And she tells me to go out of the room and tells my mom and dad things for me so I don’t freak.  Sometimes she gives me things to focus on so that I don’t fidget or focus on what hurts.  For example, she gives me colored rubber bands to choose from in order to take my mind off what she is doing.  When she first pulled out the drawer with the colors I looked at them with amazement.  There must have been 1,000,000 colors!! And she lets me pick from all of them.  And another strategy is she tells me to look at the fish hanging from her ceiling or the picture of the ocean to help me relax.  Dr. Okun’s strategies help me get through all the appointments.

 

Before she does anything in my mouth, besides telling me to breathe, she always goes through everything step by step.  She also makes sure I know everything she is going to do.  For example when I got my palatal expander on and off she told me everything she was going to do.  And one thing she does that I really like is that she doesn’t dive right in.  She waits so there isn’t as much pressure.  Particularly when she tightened my palatal expander for the first time she had to do it a few times so she waited between turns.  Dr Okun is smart and organized and prepares me for procedures.

 

Dr. Okun guides me to make good decisions that are right for me.  For example she makes sure I don’t have any pain, like when I had a sliding wire that kept poking me and she told me how to slide it back.  She tells me what to do if something goes wrong like if something breaks or bends.  She fixes it as fast as she can.  One other thing she does is she makes sure I have everything I need.  For example, once I needed rubber bands for my cross bite.  She made sure I had enough.  Dr. Okun helps me make decisions about my braces.

 

“It’s a process,” that’s what my orthodontist always says to me.  I have learned to be braver and get through everything.  All of this is thanks to Dr. Okun.

No comments: